It is the first of the foundations that Comendador Martín Rol made in this town in 1501. Its original physiognomy consisted of a room called “cotarro” or living room. This name, always linked to the idea of overcrowding, brings us closer to the possibility of a primitive shelter for transients and the sick.
St. Helena Hospital
The hermitage annexed to the Hospital was rebuilt much later, in 1655. It consists of three cross-shaped bodies. On the Epistle side is the Sacristy. The main altar contains sculptural elements of singular value. In its upper part, a bas-relief represents the Mystery of the Annunciation at half height and there are two shields flanking this bas-relief; two other bas-reliefs show the Emperor Constantine and Saint Francis of Paola.
Subsequently, on May 7, 1716, the priest Basilio López Moreno donated all his goods to the Hospital, which finally acquired its true character. In addition, the people made a popular subscription thanks to which sufficient capital was raised so that a group of nuns could establish themselves and live without suffocation. In 1886 the chapel of Santa Elena was restored, the pulpit and a San Antonio were placed. In addition, a small chapel was built to the left of the main altar. In the 20th century, during the Civil War, the chapel of the Hospital was saved thanks to foresighted hands that walled up its entrance, thus preventing its more than probable destruction, as happened with the rest of the local historical and religious heritage.